Intestate and life tenancy for unmarried partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicMG

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
My father died in 2017 without a will, I was his only child and he had a long term girlfriend who lived with him in his property that he owned solely.
He left my mother before I was a year old, and never contributed towards me as a child, but we did have some contact when I became an adult.
When he died, I was automatically appointed his previously used solicitors who pushed me to give his unmarried partner life tenancy for the property, because she had the right to continue to live in the property as if he had never died, I had to pay all the solicitors fees, pay for the funeral, and they did nothing about the fact she hid his multiple cars and motorbikes and assets so they couldn't be sold to cover estate costs, and was told this is the best outcome I could have received.

Now the solicitor who became the trustee is retiring and I have been told her solicitors will be putting the title of the property in both my name and my father's partners name jointly.

It has taken me years to regain the savings I lost paying the fees from last time, and I do not trust this firm who have pressured me and pushed me into making decisions based on their sympathy for my father's partner, who hates me and petioned for a multiple DNA tests and has pressured my grandparents to stop all contact with me.
I have asked if jointly being named on the title will change hers or my rights to the property and they have said they won't advise me unless I agree to take them on as my solicitors again.
It's just a little flat in the Midlands, but I can't afford to go through another legal fuss.
I'm tempted to agree to jointly owning the property with her given I already have no rights to the property unless she chooses to leave or marries someone, she has made it clear she will never leave.
This isn't really what I want, but if it won't affect the end outcome, will it matter?
Thanks to anyone in advance.

These boards are for issues of U.S. law only (despite the fact that the drop-down menu allows you to select non-U.S. jurisdictions). I suggest you google for "UK legal forums" or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back