Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Falsely ? arrested for shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerebulon

A family member was recently arrested at walmart for shoplifting. They had purchased a number of items and had place a bag of dog food at the bottom of the cart. They had believed that the cashier had run up the dog food and they had not. They showed the receipt to the checker at the door who checked it off and they existed the store. At no time did the alarm sound.

Once they were at their car, a member of walmart's security approached them and accused them of theft. They showed the receipt to the person, who pointed out that the dog food was not on the receipt. They went back in to pay for it and instead was detailed, the receipt and purchased goods confiscated and then was arrested for shoplifting.

While detained walmart asked them to sign several papers which my family member declined to do. We are currently awaiting the court date and have hired a lawyer. I've heard conflicting reports from other family members that the lawyer wants to plea bargain it down or try to get it dismissed.

I have also heard that the family member in question has received correspondence from attorneys representing walmart demanding several hundred dollars in compensation for the theft.

My family member has admitted to no wrong doing to anymore and reserved her right to remain silent.

What happens - or should happen now? Should this be taken to trial? We are not wealthy by any means and are concerned over court costs/lawyer fees. Any help or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

PS, I asked the manager of my local Kroger about this and she said it is the cashier's responsibility to check under the cart. She has offered to testify to that, but again, this is Kroger, and the store in question is walmart.

The request for the Store's Attorney is Civil Demand. Its legal and state law. Now what needs to be done is to contact the law firm and explain you wish to wait for court case outcome. However since you have an Attorney your legal advice should come from him/her. In a legal sense you did violate law you took unpaid for merchandise out of store. The problem is proving it was an accident and not intentional

Thank you for the quick reply. I have relayed that information. It looks as though the attorney they contacted is not giving them correct information. How do you find a good attorney? Word of mouth? Is there a site that rates them?

We do not do Attorney referrals here. Open yellow pages start calling. Many offer free consultations get as many as you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back