Is refinancing my only option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chachi67

I have been divorced for a little over a year. My ex-husband already signed a quit-claim deed over to me for the house we shared. Per the divorce order, I was given 1 year to refinance the house so as to remove his name off of the loan. It has been a little over a year,and I still have not been able to accomplish this. My current mortgage company will not refinance me as my credit score has drastically decreased over the last year, and I have fell behind on the mortgage payments. As of now, I am only behind with the current months payment. I have called several organizations to try to get help but pretty much get the run around.They all say that they need a letter from my ex-husband stating that it is okay for them to get involved since his name is still on the loan. I have explained to them that he will not do this as our divorce was very bitter and he has since put a restraining order against me. He is threatening to take me back to court as he says his credit is being ruined because of the late mortgage payments, and the judge will most likely force me to sell the home. I have 4 children living there with me.
I was reading about some of this on the internet and came across things called a deed of trust, a mortgage assumption agreement, release of co-borrower, novation, assumption and release of liability. I understand what some of this means somewhat, but am not sure if they can apply to my situation. I am so confused and terrified of having to move God knows where with my 4 kids. Can you please shed some light on what some of these terms mean and if they apply to my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back