Martial Arts School took my money.

tmlaka

Jurisdiction
Texas
So, I went in for a free class and right away the school duped me into signing up for a year's contract. Due to medical reasons, I was unable to attend any of the classes after that. I asked for a refund and was told that I was not able to get one due to signing the contract. I spent over $800 for a year of classes that I never even did one class. I then asked a few months later if I could continue that due to my circumstances getting better medically and was told that I would have to pay again. I wrote a complaint online and the school saw that, and I am 100% certain that that it why they wouldn't let me continue and had to pay again. I just want my money back. This doesn't seem like a proper way to conduct a business.

Thanks
Tom

I just want my money back. This doesn't seem like a proper way to conduct a business.

You requested a refund from the school.
The school refused to issue you a refund.
Your remaining option isn't easy, but it is legal.
You can file a small claims lawsuit.
Based upon your recitation of events, you MIGHT prevail with a small claims case.

Justice of the Peace

Duties & Responsibilities

A Justice of the Peace has the authority to:
  • Administer oaths
  • Conduct preliminary hearings
  • Issue warrants for search and arrest
  • Death inquest
  • Conduct administrative hearings and various other court procedures
  • Serve as a trial court judge for Class C misdemeanors and Civil Suits and Small Claims
  • Perform marriages

Civil Suits

The Justice Court also functions as a small claims court in which the jurisdiction is $20,000 or less, monetary only, in civil matters in which exclusive jurisdiction is not in district or county court and the amount in controversy does not exceed $20,000 monetary and/or property, with the exclusion of real estate. This also includes eviction suits.

Precincts

There are five Justice of the Peace precincts:

the school duped me into signing up for a year's contract.

How exactly were you "duped" into signing a contract?

Also, based on what you wrote, I assume that, in addition to signing the contract, you also paid some amount of money. Correct?

Due to medical reasons, I was unable to attend any of the classes after that.

Were these medical reasons known to you at the time you signed the contract?

I asked for a refund and was told that I was not able to get one due to signing the contract.

Since none of us have read the contract, and you have, do you agree or disagree with this interpretation of the contract?

This doesn't seem like a proper way to conduct a business.

Perhaps.

You didn't ask a question, but whatever question(s) you might have are not likely to be answerable by anyone who hasn't read your contract.

That said, it appears that martial arts studios are governed by the Texas Health Spa Act (Tex. Occupations Code section 702.001, et seq.). I suggest you peruse the law (particularly subchapter G on "Contract Requirements") to see if anything there provides you any relief.

Back